COMMON MISTAKES MADE WHEN BEGINNING THE DIET
1. Not doing the intro diet.
People who do the intro diet heal faster and make better progress.
2. Not keeping a diary of food and supplements introduced.
Keeping a diary helps to pinpoint problems quickly.
3. Introducing foods and supplements too quickly.
It is better to go slowly, starting with small amounts, allowing the body to adjust.
4. Not introducing foods and supplements one at time and then waiting two to four days between introductions.
If more than one item is introduced at a time and there is a negative response, either physically or behaviorally, it is impossible to know which item is the problem.
5. Taking supplements during the intro diet.
It is best to stop all supplements while doing the intro diet and then add them back in one at a time to observe the response. Prescription medication, however, should not be discontinued (without the advice of your doctor).
6. Taking supplements containing illegal ingredients.
If you are unsure about the legality of a supplement, post the ingredients or a link to the product label to the list, and the moderators will review it.
7. Introducing homemade yogurt too soon.
Yogurt should be introduced after a couple of months, starting with small amounts and gradually increasing based on tolerance.
8. Using prepared foods such as apple sauce and apple juice.
Prepared foods contain illegal ingredients, often hidden, and will impede progress on SCD.
9. Confusing the requirements of SCD with those of the GFCF diet.
SCD is gluten-free. However, just because an item is gluten-free does not mean that it is SCD legal. When in doubt, check the legal/illegal list or ask on the list.
Link to legal foods list.
10. Knowingly ingesting illegals.
"Just a little" will do a lot of damage. SCD is an all or nothing proposition. There is no such thing as SCD plus rice or 90% SCD. If you are consuming illegals, you are no longer doing SCD.